Click here to watch the Chief and IT leaders discuss the BSA’s IT Roadmap.
The Roadmap Overview
Where are we?
- 20 year old technology
- Limited knowledgeable personnel to support
- Training materials have not kept pace with software changes
- High operating costs
- Ongoing MS-Windows security patches and browser upgrades threaten the continued usage of this technology
- Many of the internal software components are not the latest from the vendors. Some are no longer supported by the vendors. Our recovery time in a failure could be slow and have significant cost.
How did we get here?
- ScoutNET was developed by BSA in 1998/1999 timeframe
- Prior to ScoutNET Councils supported hardware and software in their offices
- ScoutNET provided insight into consolidated data and management reporting
- The adoption of ScoutNET was painful and presented a steep learning curve
- Ongoing funding for software support has limited enhancements and restricted support to compliance with legal requirements and urgent business needs.
Focusing on the Right Thing
Need to ask 4 key questions before we consider a request:
- Will it eliminate our legacy systems?
- Does it fit into the 2016 BSA Game Plan?
- Is it a compliance or legal requirement?
- Does it help a council increase membership?
Vision for the future
- Make our volunteers’ and our employees’ Scouting lives easier
- Products that are intuitive and easy to use
- Products that work on mobile phones, iPads/tablets, etc
- Products that meet compliance requirements for Personally Identifiable Information (PII) and the Payment Card Industry (PCI)
A set of tools that eliminates paper processes and provides the ability to register, update and track youth members, leaders and organizations associated with Boy Scouts of America. Includes capability for roster management, taking and recording training, and integrating advancement down to the requirement, both in the field and council office.
My.Scouting Tools Features
Role Based Access
Device Responsive – Incorporated mobile platform design
New Unit Management
Existing Unit Management
Restructuring for Units
Councils and Areas
Scoutbook integration with my.Scouting Tools
Ability to record advancement at the individual requirement level and sync with Scoutbook
District and Council Advancement Reports and Dashboards
Person & Member Management
Council Registrar Tools
Membership Reporting and Dashboards
Incorporate all Adult and Youth Training
Complete Integration of the BSA Learn Center and new course content
Additional Tool Considerations
Learning for Life Functionality
Service Hours (Scoutbook Integration)
NESA – National Eagle Scout Association
OA – Order of the Arrow
From the first knot tied to final hours of service performed, the Scouting experience is a journey like no other. Scoutbook ensures not a moment is missed – tracking advancement, milestone achievements and all the fun along the way.
View and manage youth advancement
Receive/view Unit Calendar
Receive unit messages
Import/Create and Manage Unit Roster
Track Advancement (Rank, Merit Badge progress, Adventures, and Awards)
Import Adult Leaders Training status
Track event payments via Payment Log
Create and Manage Calendar events for units
Send messages to unit and connections
Track JTE metrics
Ability to send messages to Units within the Council
Ability to import Council calendars into the Unit Calendar
Ability to update the most recent approved merit badge counselor list